Replacement keypad for SPJ+ joystick controllers which are most commonly found on the Invacare Pronto series power chairs as well as several other Invacare power wheelchairs. For a complete list of compatible models, please see our compatibility tab.
1. Ensure the wheelchair power is turned off.
2. Pull the gray collar back and disconnect the joystick cable from the joystick.
3. Peel up and remove the existing, damaged keypad from the joystick face plate.
4. Inspect the joystick contacts, face plate, and joystick housing for corrosion and/or damage.
5. Using an alcohol prep pad, remove any adhesive from the joystick face plate.
6. Ensure no adhesive remains around the rim of the joystick face plate.
7. Gently remove any adhesive that may have collected in the lighting or contact cutouts of the joystick face plate.
8. After cleaning, set the joystick aside for ten minutes to allow all alcohol to evaporate from the joystick face plate.
9. Inspect once more for adhesive lumps or residue. If necessary, repeat steps 5-8 to clean the joystick face again if adhesive is present.
10. Remove the backing from the new keypad.
11. Align the bottom edge of the keypad with the bottom edge of the joystick face plate. Ensure the keypad is properly aligned with the joystick face plate before installing. The overlay is not repositionable.
12. Working from the bottom up, gently press the keypad completely into the joystick face plate.
13. Firmly press the keypad into the joystick face plate ensuring proper seal between the adhesive and joystick face plate.
14. Ensure the keypad is completely seated into the joystick face plate and no air pockets or ripples are present around the edge of the keypad.
15. Connect the joystick cable to the joystick.
16. Turn on wheelchair power and test the joystick functions.
17. If the joystick does not function properly, you may have a faulty joystick.
Questions & Answers
Thank you for your question! Once someone answers your question it will be posted on the site and you will get a notification by email.Submit another question?
Hi don't know if this is the problem it will turn the chair on. but not shut the chair off,what do you think?
If you are only having issues with turning on and off, typically it is just the keypad that needs to be replaced. If you continue to experience the issue after replacing the keypad, you will want to consult with a technician.
Hello my key pad turns the unit on ok, but it won't turn it off on my pronto 51 i took it apart cleaned the contacts it still will not turn off. you think its the key pad?thank you for any answer
It's possible the keypad is the issue, otherwise it might be the joystick assembly. You can certainly try replacing the keypad to start, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, you might want to have a technician formally diagnose the issue.